A while ago, Tom and I watched the movie Chef . vWe’ve liked Jon Favreau (and Vince Vaughn) since the movie Made, so we thought we would check it out. Chef came out back in 2014. If you’ve seen it, you know. If not, it stars Jon Favreau and John Leguizamo and is a heartwarming movie about a burnt out chef who quits his job and ends up doing a cross country food truck tour with his son and partner which reignites his love of cooking and his life purpose. It was a really good movie but you will want some snacks on hand! All that cooking and yummy food will make you hungry!
The Cubano sandwich is the specialty of the food truck and it looked delicious so we decided to make our own.
I didn’t follow their recipe for the pulled pork but used a recipe I like. I also used the bread we had on hand and some cherrywood smoked ham. the sandwiches turned out really delicious.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. pork roast
- Salt, pepper
- garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Chili powder
- Baguette, brioche, or bread of choice
- Pulled pork
- Ham slices
- Swiss cheese
- Sandwich pickles
- Yellow mustard
- Heat oil in a dutch oven. Sprinkle pork with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Sear pork on all sides. Add four cups chicken stock and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and continue to cook for about 1-1/2 hours until pork is fork tender. Pull pork.
- Butter inside of bread and toast until golden. Assemble sandwiches by coating toasted bread with yellow mustard. Add pulled pork, ham slices, Swiss cheese, and pickles. Brush outside of buns and bread with melted butter and grill on both sides until golden or cook in Panini maker.
- Serve hot.