This is SO good. It is comfort food at it’s best. A meal and a dessert all in one. One of my kids, who doesn’t like French toast said, “I’m someone who does like French toast, but this, this is delicious and you should make this again.” We had it for dinner instead of breakfast with the homemade cherry syrup.
Honestly, it doesn’t need syrup. The brown sugar and butter gets nice and syrupy and kind of caramelized on the bottom of the baking dish. Some of it bakes into the bread and when you serve it, you flip it upside down on to the plate and spoon what’s left in the pan right on top. It is amazing.
You can use really whatever bread you have on hand but I love egg bread are the best for this: challah, brioche. It makes it seem kind of fancy. And it is so easy to make and forgiving. It calls for 8 eggs but I’ve gotten by with six. You can make it ahead or you can make it right now. It only takes a few minutes to put it all together.
The Best, Most Delicious Overnight or Anytime French Toast Casserole that You’ll Want to Make Again and Again!
If you are making to bake later, soak the bread, cover with foil, and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup. packed brown sugar
- 1 loaf of bread: challah, brioche, Texas toast or whatever you have on hand
- 6-8 large eggs (8 is better but 6 works!)
- 1 cup whole milk or cream or a mix of the two
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter and then stir in brown sugar until combined. Spread in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts over butter/sugar mixture.
- Arrange bread slices or tear into pieces and arrange on top of sugar mixture, spreading out to cover the entire pan.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and pour over bread mixture. Press down on bread to make sure it is all covered by the liquid.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes covered. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve pieces upside down, spooning any remaining syrupy mix on top.
Shop Related Products: